May 05, 2005

The Tale of the Mysterious Check

A few years ago I overzealously paid too much in taxes. The IRS, correcting my mistake, asked if I wanted a check for the balance or if I would like to carry it over and use it for the next year's taxes. For some reason, I decided to opt for the second choice.

Well, the next year, being the first year I was married, we got a refund, but this did not include my refund from the previous year. So anyways, this year, we paid our taxes and then the next thing you know, we get a treasury check in the mail.

"What in the assshit is this for?" I think I actually said. "Hey, cool. 200 bucks. Let's cash it."

We soon figured out what it was for and agreed that it was my money, so I get to spend it how I want to (beer and tacos). So we both signed the back of the check (because it had both our names on it) and I took it my bank.

"Oh, I'm sorry, your wife needs to endorse the check to you since her name isn't on the account," said the bank teller.

So the next day, I explained to my wife what she needed to do and she asked why and I explained that it was because that's the rules. She said that her bank didn't do that and I said that the people at my bank were a bunch of butts. Then she agreed to endorse the check to me.

The next morning, I go into the bank and the bank teller recognizes me.
"I remember you from yesterday."

"That would be me. Did I do it right this time."

"Let's see here. Yep. Looks good."

"Cool."

"Okay, just have to wait for the statement to print."

"Cool."

"Man, you smell like chocolate," said the teller.

And I did. I did indeed smell like chocolate.

(to be continued...)