June 13, 2004

A Joke

-Knock knock.

-Who's there?

-Banana.

-Why, if I do say so myself, you look nothing like a banana. You most certainly look like a person.

-No, I'm sorry, you're supposed to say, "Banana who?"

-Why on earth would I say something like that? That doesn't make sense.

-No, see it was all apart of the setup.

-Setup? What setup? At first when you knocked upon my door I thought you were perhaps promoting some form of political action, but I see you do not have a clipboard and pen, so I know it cannot be that. Then I thought maybe you were a solicitor, but you do not have any solicitation materials, which is good because as you can plainly see, I have a sign saying "No Solicitors" clearly posted. Then, I thought that maybe you were stopping by to announce you lost a pet or maybe you needed to borrow some sugar to make a cake. Are you baking a cake? I would love to try some.

-No, I'm not baking a cake.

-So, it is rather odd, If I do say, that you would show up at my door and announce that there is a "setup." I am terribly confused right now.

-No, see, it's the setup for a joke.

-A joke? Is this one of those practical joke shows? Is this Punk'd? I really do not wish to appear on television. There better not be a camera man in the bushes.

-No, no camera in the bushes, this is just a regular joke, you know.

-Ah, I see. Well, not to be rude, but you're joke isn't very funny.

-No, it's not. That's because the rhythm is all off. The setup was botched, and now the rhythm is off, and the joke ceases to be funny.

-Seesaws? That's a funny word to say.

-No, not seesaws, ceases. C-E-A-S-E-S.

-Oh, I thought I heard seesaw. It's a shame you didn't say seesaw, because I was beginning to think that you're joke was picking up steam.

-Yeah, perhaps I should have said seesaw.

-Yeah.

-Hmm.

-So.

-Yeah.

-Well.

-Uhh.

-Yeah.

-Yeah, this is kinda awkward.

-Awkward, yes. Yes, it is. So, uhhh, I just made some popcorn and I was preparing to watch a movie, would you care to join me?

-Sure, I would love to.

-Yes, come on in, my name is Samantha, what is your name?

-Orange.

-Orange? First you said banana, now you say orange. Are you some kind of fruit?

-No.

-Well, Mr. Orange, come on up.

-It's not Mr. Orange, it's just Orange. Orange is my first name.

-Okay, Orange, come on up.

-You have a lovely place.

-Thank you.

-What's this? This is an interesting item, I've never seen anything like it before.

-It's something I got when I was in Peru.

-Oh really, what were you doing in Peru?

-Oh, it's a terribly long story. Maybe another time, what do you say we start the movie?

-Okay.

-Here's you're popcorn, Mr. Orange.

-No, it's just Orange.

-Okay just Orange. Orange who?

-Orange you glad I didn't say banana.

-Okay, Mr. Yougladididntsaybanana, what do you say we start the movie?

The green play button
on the remote is depressed
and the movie plays